Amalfi is a beautiful coastal town located in the Campania region in southern Italy. It is situated on the southern side of the Sorrento Peninsula and is part of the Amalfi Coast, which is renowned for its exceptional beauty and stunning landscapes. Furthermore, Amalfi is a highly popular tourist destination, attracting visitors from around the world.
History of Amalfi
Amalfi was one of the oldest Italian cities to emerge from the dark ages, and by the 9th century, it served as the main port of southern Italy. It was the oldest of the four major maritime republics, including Genoa, Pisa, and Venice, and this status was maintained until the 12th century. Its military and commercial power earned it great fame and had an influence on the city's architecture.
During that time, its population amounted to 80,000 people. However, due to the destruction caused by the storm and earthquake in 1343, a significant part of the old town sank into the sea, greatly reducing its population. Today, the city's population amounts to only 5,000 people.
Sights in Amalfi
- Amalfi: Amalfi is located in a narrow stretch between mountains and the sea, reflecting its name. Although it has lost its former glory as a maritime power, it is distinguished by its picturesque beauty and architecture. A visit to the Cathedral of Sant'Andrea, the arsenal, and the Paper Museum (www.museodellacarta.it) is recommended.
- Positano: The structure of Positano, with its amphitheater layout, narrow streets, old houses with vibrant red colors, and domed roofs, makes it an ideal backdrop for movies like "Only You" and "The Talented Mr. Ripley." However, you need to be in good physical shape or prepared for walking as there are many stairs. Don't miss visiting the small church of Santa Maria Assunta on the beach.
- Praiano: Praiano is a fishing village located on the slope of Mount Sant'Angelo. A little further out, you'll find a small and picturesque beach called Marina di Praia, surrounded by fishermen's houses.
- Ravello: Ravello is perfect for those seeking tranquility and isn't particularly touristy. A visit to Villa Rufolo, built by the Rufolo family in the 13th-14th century and renovated in the 19th century, is recommended. The atrium with double columns and tropical gardens that inspired Richard Wagner to compose "Parsifal" is stunning. In the same area, you'll find the church of the city's patron, Saint Pantaleon, and Villa Cimbrone, an architecturally eclectic building dating from the 19th century.
- Vietri: Vietri is located by the sea, in the Gulf of Salerno, and is known for its tradition of ceramics, dating back to the 15th century. In the park of Villa Guariglia, you'll find the Ceramic Museum.
Activities in Amalfi
- The Amalfi Coast is one of the most famous tourist destinations in Italy, especially among celebrities. Its stunning coastline and charming villages have captured the hearts of many travelers, leaving them longing to return for more. This region offers countless opportunities for exploration and entertainment, and to make it easier for you, we've prepared a list of the top things you can do on the Amalfi Coast. This way, you can spend less time planning and more time preparing for your vacation.
- Explore Pompeii: The ancient city of Pompeii is one of the most popular attractions in the area, and for good reason. This city was destroyed in 79 AD when Mount Vesuvius erupted, and the lava and ash preserved the city in the state it was found. The site was only discovered in the 18th century, and the city has been remarkably well-preserved, as if frozen in time.
- Visit Capri: The island is renowned for its stunning natural landscapes, unique boutiques, and exceptional cuisine. An ideal way to explore this Amalfi Coast gem is through a boat trip from one of the towns along the coast. You can look into options like this day trip by boat from Amalfi or this boat trip from Sorrento, which will take you to Capri and allow you to disembark there to explore and shop for a few hours on your own.
- A Day in Amalfi: Throughout the Amalfi Coast, there are many small towns and villages, but the most famous of them is the town of Amalfi itself. There, you'll find numerous souvenir shops filled with lemons and other local products, as well as boutiques to wander through. Visitors can spend some time on the beach enjoying the sun or visit one of the town's museums, such as the Museo della Carta, where you can learn about the history of paper production in the region. The town itself is quite beautiful and includes sights like the Cattedrale di Sant’Andrea, Torre dello Ziro, and the Episcopal Museum of Amalfi.
- The Path of the Gods: If you're looking for fun and free activities in the Amalfi Coast area, then hiking the Path of the Gods is for you. Il Sentiero degli Dei is one of the best hiking trails in the region and offers breathtaking views of nature and the Mediterranean Sea. This eight-kilometer trail traverses various terrains and can take anywhere from three to five hours to complete. There are various routes you can follow.
How to travel to / from Amalfi?
- Ferry routes Naples - Amalfi: Ferries depart year-round from the port of Naples to the town of Amalfi by the ferry company Navigazione Libera Del. The duration of the journey is less than 2 hours, and the passenger ticket cost is €32. The Beverello port is part of the port of Naples, located in Italy. The port area hosts numerous hotels and is connected to the islands of Ischia, Capri, and Sorrento.
- Ferry routes Salerno - Amalfi: The ferry company Navigazione Libera Del operates the Salerno - Amalfi route in approximately half an hour. The passenger ticket price is €16.
- Ferry routes Sorrento - Amalfi: The route is operated by the company Navigazione Libera Del, and the passenger ticket costs €20 with a travel time of approximately 1.5 hours.
How to book a ferry ticket to the town of Amalfi:
On the booktickets website, you can find information about all ferry routes and ticket prices to the town of Amalfi in Italy. Details about departure times and the duration of the journey are also provided to help you plan your trip in advance. Additionally, you can book affordable ferry tickets with all available passenger discounts.