Methana is famous for its thermal baths, beautiful beaches, and archaeological sites. It is an ideal destination for family-friendly, budget-friendly, and relaxing vacations in nature, just two hours away from Athens.
History of Methana
Archaeological excavations confirm the presence of settlements in the area since prehistoric times. The peninsula belonged to the region of Troezen, which was captured by the Athenians in 425 BC. Its name is derived from "methanion," which is related to the thermal waters and volcanic activity in the area.
The Methana peninsula has a history dating back to the Neolithic era, as evidenced by archaeological findings. The eruption of the volcano around the mid-3rd century BC caused significant destruction in the Methana peninsula. At that time, Methana came under the rule of Egypt and remained under Egyptian control until 145 BC.
During the Byzantine period, from 330 to 1453 AD, there were two major settlements in Methana, one in the Panagitsa area and another in the Prophet Elias area. Several churches were also founded during this Byzantine period. In 1870, the town of Loutraki was established in Methana, and the utilization of the thermal springs in the second half of the 19th century marked a new era of prosperity for the region.
Sights in Methana
- The Pine-Covered Island of Agii Anargyri: It is connected to Methana via a narrow bridge. The island's surface features a paved road, ideal for leisurely afternoon strolls. On the island, you will find the church of Agii Anargyri and an organized beach.
- Methana's Volcano: The ascent to "Kameni Chora" to reach the famous volcanic crater, following a path etched in lava, surrounded by pine trees and wild vegetation, rewards you with a stunning panoramic view of the Argosaronic Gulf.
- Thermal Springs: These springs have been famous since ancient times for their beneficial effects on both body and soul.
- The Peristera Cave: Located on the coastal road, approximately 2.5 kilometers before reaching Vathy. Discovered in 1973, it extends for 250 meters and consists of three chambers filled with water.
- The Medieval Castle of Phavieiro: Dominating the area with its four small towers at its corners, this castle stands as a preserved historical monument.
Additionally, you can visit picturesque villages such as Kameni Chora, the fishing village of Vathy, Agii Theodori, Palaiá Loutrá, and Megalochóri. At the western tip of the peninsula, the church of Krasopanagia stands out, a chapel that, according to legend, was built with soil and wine on the rocks.
Furthermore, from Methana, you can organize day trips to the nearby islands of the Argosaronic Gulf, such as Agistri, Aegina, and Poros.
Activities in Methana
- You can enjoy swimming in several locations in Methana and the surrounding area. You can go swimming at Limniona, Agioi Theodoroi, the EOT beach, Agios Georgios, Kounoupitsa, and Agios Nikolaos if you are staying in Methana.
- If you desire a more extensive exploration, you can reach the beaches of Kalloni or the beaches of Pausanias in Palia Loutra.
- For spearfishing enthusiasts, Agios Nikolaos and Palia Loutra are good options.
- It's worth visiting the sulfur-rich thermal springs of Vromolimni, which are suitable for various ailments, as well as the chlorine-sodium spring of Agios Nikolaos.
- Additionally, you can take a trip to the beautiful villages of Agioi Theodoroi, Palia Loutra, and Megalochori.
How to travel to / from Methana?
To reach Methana, you have the option to either travel by ferry from Piraeus or by road, following the National Road Athens - Corinth and Epidaurus.
Ferry routes & Ferries to Methana
- Ferry routes Piraeus - Methana: Ferry boats operated by Saronic Ferries depart from the port of Piraeus, taking passengers and vehicles. The journey with an intermediate stop at Aegina takes approximately 2 hours. The cost of a ferry ticket to Methana ranges from 14.8€ to 21€.
How to Book Ferry Tickets to Methana?
You can find information about all ferry routes and ticket prices to Methana on booktickets. Details regarding ferry departure times and the duration of the trip are also provided to help you plan your journey in advance. Additionally, you can book affordable ferry tickets with all available discounts for passengers and vehicles!